Edwin Park and C.S. Munger were here as early as 1848 and A.S. Munger in 1854 - having been engaged in all kinds of trades and are among those who have contributed largely to the prosperity of the county, and have held the most responsible offices in the city and county, but they now find their time fully occupied with their own business.
This paper would be incomplete without the name of Philip Simon, a gentleman who arrived here in 1850 as a German laborer, worked by the month at $12 per month for two or three years, but finally opened a butcher's shop on the spot where the Union block now stands, in a little board shanty. While his wife was attending to the business he was laboring or hunting up cattle for his stock of beef. This business must have paid well, for he soon opened a hotel in a small house where his brick block now stands, next to the Fraser House, and kept saloon, boarding house and butcher shop, and then built the Bay City house, on the corner of Center and Saginaw streets. But all these places were swept away in the great fire of 1863 or 1864, and he built with brick, but engaged in merchandising and continued several years. He finally retired to his find residence on Twelfth street and lives easy. Mr. Simon is raising a family of only fourteen children to cheer up his old age.
Christopher Heintzmann came here about the same time as a German laborer, but by his careful management has accumulated considerable wealth and owns and keeps the Forest City House, and is, perhaps, as easy financially as any one in Bay City.
C.B. and J.F. Cottrell opened a store on the corner of Second and Water streets in 1854, and continued several years, and finally sold out and removed from the county. But C.B. returned and married Miss Rogers, daughter of Thomas Rogers, one of the pioneers, and is firmly located here doing a fine business in insurance.
Then Clark Moulthrop is one of the active men here, having been one of the successful mill operators and business men and resides in his palatial residence on Center street, seeming to enjoy life in its fullest measure.
W.L. Fay and George Lord, are early mill owners, having built the Keystone mills and now W.L. Fay with Gates owns the Gates & Fay mill, and are large operators in grist mill and other businesses.
Sage and McGraw came here in 1864 and built the immense saw mill, and laid the land out into lots where the thriving city of West Bay City now stands, while John McGraw some years after purchased a large tract of land in the Seventh ward of Bay City, where he built an immense saw mill, and other lumber and shingle mills, salt works and quite a large town. Nearly the entire property was destroyed by fire but was immediately rebuilt in better style and more perfectly than formerly. It is perhaps, the largest lumbering mill in the world for manufacturing lumber in all its forms. Together with the salt works, railroad tracks, docks and dwellings make quite a city.
Richard Padley, an early pioneer and laborer, came here poor, but has gotten bravely over that long since.
C.C.C. Childson was another early pioneer, poor in everything but the letter "C" in his name. He was a carpenter, builder, justice of the peace and everything else handy, but made quite a fortune before he died. He built the first sash and blind factory here that was run by steam.
Conrad Hage, another business man, came in 1857 as a common laborer but has made himself easy financially.