Click to Stop Background Music! Utilities Window: Current calendar and time, guide, music selector, etc.

Heritage \ Writings \

Businesses in Village of Bangor, in 1868.
  • Contributed by Jim Petrimoulx
  • Transcribed Feb. 2007.
  • Bay City Tribune - September 11, 1903

    LOOKING BACKWARD.
    ---------

    History of the Village of Bangor as it Appeared in the First Directory.
    ---------

    WAS A THRIVING PLACE OF 1,000 INHABITANTS.
    ---------
    Principal Business in 1868 was Manufacturer of Salt and Lumber -- Old Settlers.
    ---------

    The first directory of Bay City, Wenona, Portsmouth and Bangor, published in 1868, gives the following history of Bangor, now the First ward of this city.

    The village of Bangor is reached by means of steam ferry boats which ply regularly during the season of navigation between that place and Bay City. It is a thriving place of about 1,000 inhabitants, a large proportion of whom are French descent. Its principle business is the manufacturing of salt and lumber. There are in operation at the present time three saw mills and four salt blocks. There is also sized tannery, a cooper shop, two boat buildings establishments, a Methodist church, a school house, an excellent hotel, four groceries and other business houses. The fish trade is also an important interest, giving employment all the year round to nearly 100 men. The history of Bangor, its origin, its growth, its prosperity and its struggles, are all bound up in the life of Joseph Trombley, who was first to take up house in Portsmouth, where he located with his brother Medor, to trade with the Indians, in 1834. He and his brother built the first frame building erected in Lower Saginaw, bringing the lumber from Detroit, where it cost $18. In 1834 Joseph Trombley bought section 16, of the township of Bangor, from the government, plotted it and in 1846, erected his dwelling upon it., which was the beginning of Bangor village. In 1852 the first mill was built, and within two years more made their appearance. Three hundred acres of land have lately been platted and laid out into building lots, which are now being offered on reasonable terms. The water frontage is very conducive and if inducements are offered it will no doubt be dotted with mills, salt blocks, warehouses and factories. For the manufacturing of salt this point offers advantages over any other in the valley. Brine can be got anywhere in the neighborhood at a depth of from 400 to 800 feet of purer quality than procured elsewhere. From Bangor to Wenona is a distance of about two miles, which affords the pleasantest drive or walk in the valley, the most inviting places for picnics.

    At the time the directory was issued Leng & Bradfield were manufacturers of salt, their plant being located on Water street, Bangor; D. V. Bourn's tannery, erected in 1864, was tanning $10,000 worth of hides annually; John A. Weed was a shipbuilder and built the ferry Ben Trudell and the sailboat Phil Sheridan; William Crosthwaite had the shipyard and dry dock and built several boats prior to the time the directory was published, among which were the Wm. Crosthwaite, the three-masted vessel John Kilderhouse, the tug E. P. Derr, and the canal boat Charlie and the schooner American Giant. He employed about 30 men. Mouthrop and Co. were proprietors of the Bangor mills and salt works, erected in 1852. (End of article missing.)

    Note: Bangor remained a settlement community until 1871, when it became organized as a village. However, the name Bangor was already establshed in Michigan, and the name was changed to "Banks."
    Related Note & Pages

    Related Links:
    None at this time.
    People Referenced
    Bourn, D.V.
    Bradfield
    Crosthwaite, William
    Leng
    Trombley, Joseph
    Trombley, Medor
    Weed, John A.
    Referenced Places & Items
    Bangor (Banks), Vil., MI
    Bangor mills & salt works
    Bay City, MI
    Boat builders
    Brine
    Canal boat, Charlie
    Cooper shop
    Dry dock
    Ferry boat
    Ferry, Ben Trudell
    First framed bldg.
    Fish trade
    First ward, Bay City
    Indians
    Lower Saginaw, MI
    Lumber mills
    Methodist church
    Mouthrop & Co.
    Portsmouth vil., MI
    Sailboat, Phil Sheridan
    Salt blocks
    Schooner, American Giant
    Shipyard
    Tannery
    Tug, E.P. Derr
    Vessel, John Kilderhouse
    Vessel, Wm Crosthwaite
    Wenona vil., MI
    WRITINGS: History As It Was Written Then.